- 12 dried apricots
- 8 medium chicken thighs (about 2 1/2 lb.) $Click to see savings
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil $Click to see savings
- 1 onion, sliced $Click to see savings
- 1 cup chicken broth
- Rinse apricots and scatter them in a slow cooker. Pat chicken dry; season with salt and pepper. Melt butter in oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook thighs until golden brown, 3 to 5 minutes per side. (Brown in batches to avoid crowding skillet.) Arrange over apricots.
- Pour off all but 1 Tbsp. fat in skillet. Add onion and cook until just soft, 2 to 4 minutes.
- Add broth to skillet; turn heat to high. Bring to a boil, loosening browned bits.
- Pour contents of skillet over apricots and chicken. Cover and cook on low heat for 4 hours.
- Carefully transfer thighs to a serving dish (they'll tend to fall apart easily); cover with foil to keep warm. Pour remaining contents into a saucepan. Boil, stirring often, until reduced and thickened, about 10 minutes. Pour over chicken.
Shredded Beef Tacos
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander
- 2 pounds top round roast
- 1 tablespoon olive oil $Click to see savings
- 1 8-oz. can tomato sauce
- 1/2 chipotle chile in adobo sauce, seeded and finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 12 corn tortillas
- 1. Combine salt, chili powder, cumin and coriander; rub all over roast. Warm oil in a large heavy pot over medium-high heat. Sear meat on both sides, about 4 minutes total.
- 2. Place meat in slow cooker. Mix tomato sauce, chipotle and garlic; pour over meat. Cover and cook on low until fork-tender, about 6 hours. Shred meat, combine with enough sauce to moisten, and serve with tortillas.
1 (3 lb.) boneless pork shoulder, skin and excess fat removed $
1 onion, chopped $
1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth or water
2 cups bottled or homemade barbecue sauce $
2 tablespoons mustard $
2 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon soy sauce
Salt and pepper
Trim pork of any excess fat. Scatter onion over bottom of slow cooker and place pork on top. Add broth, cover and cook on low until very tender, about 8 hours. Remove meat and let cool.
When cool enough to handle, pull meat into thin shreds, removing all fat and gristle. Skim excess fat from liquid in slow cooker.
Return pulled pork to slow cooker and stir in barbecue sauce, mustard, honey and soy sauce. Season with salt and pepper. Cook for 1 hour longer on low. If desired, serve with hamburger buns and sides of pinto beans, corn, tomatoes and coleslaw.
There you go...now, get cookin'! Maybe read a book or watch a good movie while your cooker does all the work!